Enriching Instruction with Reliable Resources (Morning)
To connect librarians and teachers with resources such as NOVELny, MyLibraryNYC, Teachingbooks.net, ASCD eBooks, and book sets to assist teachers in accessing material to support classroom instruction.
- K - 12 Teachers
Location and Date: February 15th, 2018, Franklin Delano Roosevelt High School, 5800 20th Avenue, Brooklyn, New York
Two sessions (sign up for only one) : 8:30 – 11:00 (morning) and 12:00 – 2:30 (afternoon)
- Participants will be able to locate and navigate free resources through NOVELny, MyLibraryNYC, and Teachingbooks.net.
- MyLibraryNYC Participants will be able to partner with local libraries to borrow book sets to be used in guided reading instruction, etc.
- Participants will be able to distinguish between “fake” news and actual news.
- Participants will be able to distinguish between search engines and databases to locate reliable sources of information for research and instruction.
Blueprint for Success:
- Librarians will share resources and support classroom teachers in navigating and utilizing these databases appropriately.
- Teachers will utilize databases appropriately for research and classroom instruction.
- Librarians and Teachers will partner with local New York Public Libraries to borrow book sets to support classroom instruction.
- Librarians and Classroom Teachers will partner to ensure that students can distinguish between primary and secondary sources of information as well as search engines and databases.
- Students will be able to locate reliable sources of information and cite sources appropriately.
This program is eligible for 2.5 hours of CTLE credit in Pedagogy
The New York City Department of Education is recognized by the New York State Education Department's Office of Teaching Initiatives as an approved sponsor of CTLE for Professional Classroom Teachers, School Leaders and Level III Teaching Assistants.
- Thursday, February 15, 2018
- 8:30am - 11:00am
- Click on link to Eventbrite to view location